Thursday, November 22, 2007

Sweet Potatoe Casserole

The recipe calls for 3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes. I cheat and use canned yams. One of these big cans has about 3 cups in it. Mash up the sweet potatoes or yams with 1/2 cup of butter(margarine). Then add 1 cup of sugar, 2 eggs well beaten, 1 tsp of vanilla, 1/3 cup of milk, and spices to taste. I just use cinnamon. The recipe calls for 1 tsp of lemon. I never have any, so I just leave it out.
Put it in a dish, and mix up the topping.
For the topping, melt 1/2 stick margarine. Add 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of flour, and 1 cup of pecans. Mix well and spread over top. I just use my hands to sprinkle it over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Here again, mine takes longer to cook, but I am doubling the recipe. It's very yummy. I guess sweet potatoes are a vegetable, but there's so much sugar in it that it could be a desert.

3 comments:

christy said...

i may need to refer to these posts at christmas. thanks!

Anonymous said...

I made this yesterday for Thanksgiving! It is soo good! You're right...it could be a dessert.

Laurel

brookeisacrazylady said...

Awesome posts! I totally want to make this!