Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Making Dressing: Step One

Here in the South, we have Dressing instead of stuffing. It's soo much better than stuffing. Although, the only stuffing I've had is Stove Top so that may not be a fair judgement.
First, you have to make the egg bread. You'll need 2 cups of cornmeal (if not using self-rising, add 1 tsp salt and1/2 tsp baking soda), 2 cups of buttermilk, and 2 eggs. The directions say to sift dry ingredients together. I skip this step. It also says to separate the eggs, add the yolks to the buttermilk, and fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. I skip this step too. I just beat the eggs some before I put them in. I don't know that it really matters.
The directions also say to bake it in a greased black iron skillet. I only have one, and it's not big enough for a double batch. So I just use Pyrex. You bake it at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until brown.

1 comment:

brookeisacrazylady said...

I don't think I've ever had this...my mom does stove top. I have never bought cornmeal...this might be too ambitious...hmmm, but it sounds so yummy.