Saturday, November 10, 2007

I Love Free Pecans

Pecans are a necessity around here at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's expensive to buy them at the store. Last year, I think I spent $15 on pecans. So when Mel called me the other day and asked if I wanted some a patient had brought to their office, I said sure. No one in her office wanted them. Who turns down FREE pecans? So she brought the whole bag to me. I got them from her last weekend, so I started cracking them by hand. I soon learned that was insane. So Wednesday, I took them to the pecan place and had them cracked. It was soo worth driving across town, and they only charge $0.25 per pound. I had 20 pounds, so it cost me $5. I had cracked about 3/4 of a bag by hand, and they were all in small pieces. After having them cracked, I was able to get most of them out in whole pieces. Alot of them weren't any good because of the drought, but I still got 6 full quart bags out of them. That's more than enough to get me through the holiday season. When I have to buy them, I just buy enough to make sweet potato casserole and magic cookie bars which are holiday necessities. Now I can make anything I want. I might even make a few pecan pies. I'm going to put at least two bags in the freezer in case I don't get this lucky next year. I am glad to finally be done with them though. I'm not allergic to pecans, but I am allergic to pecan trees. So having those in the shell pecans in my house has been aggravating my allergies. Now I just have to vacuum up all of the little pieces of shell that ended up all over the floor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What luck! I love pecans, but yes, they are expensive!
Is Troy Simms out of business? I used to by Ian's grandmaw peanuts there and was going to get some while in Dothan this summer, but it looked like they were closed down. ??

Laurel

Heather said...

Yeah, Troy Simms closed. They tried to sell it, but no one wanted to buy it. The people who owned it were ready to retire and didn't have any family interested in taking it over. I had to go all the way across town to Shute Pecan Co. I've seen a billboard for a new place, but I don't know where they are located.

Anonymous said...

so do you have a good pecan pie recipe?
NancyJo

Heather said...

I think I used the one on the bottle of Karo Corn Syrup the last time. It turned out pretty good. I use the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts. They are so much better than the frozen ones. You just unroll them and put them in your pie pan. Almost as good as from scratch and alot easier.

brookeisacrazylady said...

That is awesome! I love that too.