Saturday, October 14, 2006

Clear Day & More Yard Work

Well, it was another clear day, so I decided to finish up my yard work. Bradley came over to help, but I didn't take a picture of him. We moved the big pile of branches and raked up all of the trimmings and put them in bags. At first Bradley kept saying, this isn't taking as long as I thought, but after an hour or so he was ready to be finished. We almost had our 2nd bag full, so I told him we could take a break and have a snack when we filled up the bag. I should've waited until we were done because there was only about a 1/4th of a bag left. I had to go inside to get another bag anyway, so we took a break. After he ate his snack, I told him to come help me get the rest of it up. After I called him a second time, he finally came out. He asked me if he could watch all the TV he wanted when we got finished, and I told him he could. He's been on TV restriction a lot lately for misbehaving at school, but he did better this week. I know this looks just like the picture from last week, but it's from today.

I finished cutting the bushes all the way down. They did completely fill the dirt space you see here and went up to the middle of the windows.

Here's a close up of what's left of them. They were more like trees than bushes. The main trunks coming out of the ground are 4-6 inches in diameter. Mel had said if I wanted them gone, Ish could pull them up with his truck. I showed them to Ish when he picked up Bradley, and he said there was no way he could've pulled these out.

This is one of 3-4 small flowering bushes that Dad originally planted in front of the big bushes. I can't believe this one has survived after all these years of being covered by the big bushes.

Here's a shot of my new landscape.
Here's a weird bug I thought Aiden would be interested in. I don't know what it is. I just hope it stays outside and doesn't get in my house.Here's a close up shot of him from the front.
While Bradley watched TV, I put up my new mail box. I just changed out the box, not the post. The old one was metal and was beginning to rust, and all of the numbers were faded. I did take the numbers off the post. They were only on one side, and you couldn't even read them anymore. I know you can't see the first number for the flag, but all of the house numbers out here start with the same two numbers so the mail man shouldn't get confused. You can see all of the numbers on the other side, and when I give directions, I always have people come in from that direction anyway. There are numbers on the house too.

I then went and hung the blinds I had bought for the shed. Dad had taped tacky aluminum foil over the windows to keep the sun out. I'm not as concerned with the sun shining in as I am with someone looking in and seeing something they would like to steal. My theory is that if they can't see it, they won't want to steal it. That's the same reason I don't leave stuff in plain view in my car.

3 comments:

christy said...

wow you've been working hard! good! you are not going to have any vegetation left. you should plant gerbera daisies. i love them and the bloom like all the time except below freezing. they come back year after year and are so colorful and pretty to cut and put in a vase or just leave them be. you should also plant a lot of fruit trees.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are so handy!

I'm glad Bradley is doing better at school. I had talked to Mel before his field trip and she said he'd been having some problems.

The house looks good!!

~Laurel

Heather said...

I'm thinking about extending my porch if the bushes don't come back out. I would have to dig that area out and put in pavers or something that would be level with the side walk. I can't go much higher than that due to water run off issues with that part of the garage that sticks out. I can't have anything higher than it is or I'd have water coming in the house.I'll wait and see what the bushes do. For now it will just be dirt. I'm not planting anything.