After we left the house Saturday, the water rose even higher. When we left, it was just over the window sills. As you can see from the picture below, it rose several more inches before it started receding. In the end, there was 21 inches of water inside the house, 23 inches in the garage, and 29 inches in the yard. I couldn't believe that by 5:00 p.m. the water had drained away from the house. Several family members, friends and people from church came by, and they got the clean up started. They filled the bed of Ish's pick up with wet laundry and cleaned up the trash that floated all over the house. Sunday morning several of the women went with Mel to the laundry mat to wash everything. Then they went back to the house and washed dishes that had gotten wet. About 20+ men came to the house and started ripping out the flooring and the wet sheet rock. By 6:00 p.m., most of the demo had been done. Amber has pictures of the inside of the house on her blog.
This is the door going into the garage.
This picture is kind of blurry, but you can see the water line an inch or two below the molding on Mel's van. This is the only thing that will be covered by the insurance company. Homeowners insurance does NOT cover flood damage. Hopefully this will be declared a disaster area, and maybe there will be some assistance available. In the mean time, I have 5 house mates. What use to be the garage in my house was closed in years ago, and I was just using it for my sewing stuff. I don't do that much sewing, so it was easy to just move everything around to make room.
We are all so grateful for all of those who came out to help with the clean up. It couldn't have been done without you.
2 comments:
What!!!! No flood damage coverage?!? That's ridiculous. I mean, I can see it if you live below sea level (then you're just asking for it...). But come on. What's the point of insurance. Okay, I'm irate for Mel and Ish. Ugh.
On the plus side, it's wonderful all the help that came. What a blessing. And what a blessing to have a sister like you who moves them right on in :).
I'm so glad for all the help Mel and Ish got! I wish I was there to help too! Hope things get back to normal soon!
Laurel
Post a Comment