I just read this article regarding sleepovers. If you have children, you should really read this. http://ldslivingmagazine.com/articles/show/1898
I don't have children, so I've never really thought about this. When we were kids, we were allowed to go to sleepovers, and even hosted a few ourselves. Nothing terrible ever happened to me at a sleepover, but I did see my first rated R movie during a sleepover at my cousin's house when I was probably 12 or 13. That was back in the day before you could block channels on a TV, and they had HBO and Showtime. (I don't think we even had cable at that time.) My aunt and uncle went to bed, and left us up watching TV. I don't know if they had a rule against watching inappropriate movies, but we watched just the same. I don't think watching a rated R movie scarred me for life or anything, but it did take away a bit of my innocence unnecessarily.
Having had some of my nieces and nephews sleepover at my house, I think the relative part may be a little extreme. I do think it should only be with relatives with whom you are very close, and you know that they hold the same values as you. But then again, how do you explain to a child that they can sleepover at one place and not another.
No comments:
Post a Comment