For many, many years our church leaders have counseled us to store food. Not just in case of a calamity, but also for times of economic hardship. With the current state of our economy, I thought it might be a good idea to get started. I decided to use part of my income tax refund to do this. Our Ward purchased a dry pack canner, and our Relief Society President went to Atlanta and bought two pallets of cans. This afternoon, I went and picked up 96 cans. I don't plan on filling them all at once, but I wanted to go ahead and get plenty of cans. They were only $1.00 each, and next time they will be $1.25 each. Plus, who knows how long it will be before someone goes back up there to get more cans. Now I've got to decide what to put in them. So far I've got dried pinto beans, potato flakes, and quick oats. I'm going get some rice, dry milk, sugar, and macaroni from Sam's. We'll see what else Sam's may have that I can can too. I need to figure out where I'm going to store them all once they are filled. Right now they are stacked in my living room.
3 comments:
Good job Heather. I'm impressed. Way to Be.
This is awesome. I soooo want to be better prepared.
As for storing it, I hear of a lot of people storing it under their bed(s). Sure, maybe a tad inconvenient... But, out of sight!
yeah! I just did that on saturday. and didn't get near enough cans...i had 30.
Post a Comment