Friday, August 24, 2007

No More Leaks

I finally decided to get my hot water heater replaced. It has been leaking off and on since I messed with it back in January. It had gotten so bad, I was having to turn off the water to it when I wasn't using it. I couldn't leave it turned on for more than an hour or two without there water being everywhere. This thing was so full of sediment, it would barely drain. He didn't want to wait around for it to drain, so he decided to take it out like it was. He had a hand truck, but this sucker was heavy. Only a few of the 50 gallons it holds had drained out. I helped him get it leaned back on the hand truck, but then he couldn't get it up over the threshold. The hot water heater is in what use to be the garage, so it's a step down from the rest of the house. It has this weird metal threshold that hangs out, and he couldn't get over it. He called someone to come help, but then I suggested making a ramp out of some boards. I went to the shed and found a piece of plywood just big enough for it to roll on. Worked like a charm. When we got to the front door, I put the board over the threshold so he could roll over it and down to the porch easier. Once it started rolling down, he dropped it. But it was outside, so it didn't mess up anything. He couldn't get it back up on the hand truck, so he just rolled it to the side of the street. Here's a picture I took while the plumber was gone to get some pipe. He had already disconnected the pipes at the top.

Here's the new one. It's a Rheem which I think is a good brand. It heats up real fast, so I can set my timer box to be on even less saving more money on my electric bill. I need all the help I can get. It's been soo hot here that my air conditioner runs all the time. I turn it up to 75 when I'm not here, but my electric bill was still $187 last month. I'm sure it'll be even higher next month because the temperature has been hovering at 100 for a couple of weeks now.
I don't know yet exactly how much all of this will cost me. He said they will send me a bill.
My timing couldn't have been better. About two hours after the plumber left, the trash truck came around and picked up the old hot water heater. I was afraid it would sit there for a week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet you end up saving lots of money!

Laurel