I have a Camellia bush/tree in my front yard. It's as tall as my house. It mainly produces white flowers, but a neighbor down the street has a red one that has cross pollinated with mine. The results are white flowers with magenta stripes and an occasional solid magenta flower. Here's a striped one just starting to open.
Here's a solid magenta flower that's about to open. It is actually growing on a new bush that has come up under the big one. I wonder if I could move it without killing it.
Here's an open one. They start turning brown almost as soon as they fully open. 
I like the stripes on this one.
Remember the bushes I cut down. Well they are starting to come back. The surrounding ground has filled in with weeds. I haven't bothered to do anything about them yet because they help keep the dirt from washing away.
4 comments:
i always loved that camellia bush. it has always produced pink and white solid and striped flowers. it is also the state flower. i used to love drawing camellias as a kid and loved how that bush bloomed early to let you know spring is coming soon. you better not ever cut it down. it is one of the only things that remains the same back home. i think i need to plant one at my house. I wonder if they would grow in utah.
How beautiful. My grandmother had a huge camellia bush in her yard. For a long time I thought they were roses!
Thanks for sharing the pics!
Laurel
did you notice you are spelling camellia wrong? you put camilla.
I looked online to see if I was spelling it correctly, and I found it spelled both ways.
Post a Comment