Saturday, January 06, 2007

Saturday Destruction

I've been wanting to tear down this old shed that's in my back yard. The floor rotted out years ago, so it's just sitting on the ground. Dad kept it after he bought the new shed, thinking he would park the lawn mower in it. The door wasn't wide enough, so it's just been sitting there with some junk in it. I read an article in the paper the other day that said the city was thinking about passing a new trash ordinance. They would start limiting the types of trash they will pick up. Right now, they'll pick up anything. So I decided I'd better get this shed down before they pass the new ordinance. I removed the metal about half way up the front and back. The sides run up and down instead of side to side, so I couldn't get them off without removing the screws on the top. So I decided to flip it over. The whole thing is made of aluminum, so it's not as heavy as it looks. Since I had removed the metal from the back, I could use the framing to lift it. I picked it up little by little, bracing it on my body to keep it up. It actually rolled over onto the roof, so I had to roll it back onto the side so I could get to the screws I needed to remove. Then I was able to get the metal off the sides. I'll just have to roll it back and forth until I can get all of the screws out.Once I get all of the metal off, I'll have to get a saw or something to cut the framing up with. That green thing is a sprayer that was hanging from the ceiling. I couldn't reach to get it down, so I just left it there.
It's amazing that I didn't get stung by a wasp. I sprayed two nests that were inside and some that I saw flying around. When I pulled back the metal from one side, there was this huge mound of wasp. There was a piece of peg board on the wall, and they were behind it. I didn't see them until I pulled the metal back. I can't believe they didn't attack me. I had to pull this piece away from the other piece, and they were caulked together. This is what they look like after I sprayed them and some flew away. I used a whole can of wasp spray today. Here's the junk I need to dispose of. There's a huge box of nails spilled on the ground. I need to find someone with a magnet thing to get all of the nails and screws off the ground. I'll probably end up with a flat tire on my lawn mower. There's also a lot of old oil and yard chemicals. Maybe I can talk my Dad into disposing of these for me since he's the one that left them here.
This old tiller was in the shed. Ish is coming over to get it. It hasn't been used in probably 25 years. Something rather simple is broken, but Dad never got around to fixing it. Ish and his Dad can fix anything. Maybe he'll plant a garden this spring.

And of course another sky picture. Everytime I work outside, I notice how neat the sky looks, and I have to take a picture.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work!! You really should open a Handy Woman business!

Laurel

christy said...

it's fun to see you working on projects. funny that you can do some seemly big projects but say you can't move a few chairs. a matter of motivation i think. where there's a will there's a way. you're proving that. kind of like the crazy motivation i had when i was pregnant with tristan. I went and bought and came home and unloaded and built a swingset for the kids. I replaced the kitchen floors and painted and replaced the basement floors and a million other things at that townhouse. then tristan came along and is taking all that energy i once had. hee hee. fun!

kelsey said...

Pretty sky picture...sunset, I presume? Good work on the shed. It was funny to think of you pushing it over. You are a handywoman.

Mrs. Mike said...

Thanks for the commenting tips. I'm trying it out right now. I guess I'll just always have to log in so I can comment now.

Heather said...

Yes, Kelsey, it was sunset. It was between 4 and 5 when I took the picture.